quotes tagged with 'boundaries'

When nothing is sacred, everything is fair game in conflicts of ideas, attitudes, or behaviors. If something is sacred, then some ground rules of harmonious interaction are possible.

Author: Terrance D. Olson, Source: Is Something Sacred? Meridian's Response to Big Love, Meridian...Saved by elb1179 in conflict boundaries sacred arguement 11 years ago[save this] [permalink]
Art is science made clear.
Author: Jean Cocteau - French dramatist, director, & poet (1889 - 1963), Source: http://www.quotiki.com/quote.aspx?id=6882Saved by mlsscaress in science art clarity boundaries view 12 years ago[save this] [permalink]
Boundaries don't keep other people out, they fence you in.
Author: ?, Source: ?Saved by mlsscaress in boundaries 13 years ago[save this] [permalink]
In the final division as between the Lamanites and the Nephites, note the spiritual boundary which preceded the geographical boundary: "I, Nephi, did take my family, . . . and all those who would go with me . . . who believed in the warnings and the revelations of God; wherefore, they did hearken unto my words" (2 Ne. 5:6).

Laman and Lemuel did not partake of the tree of life, which is the love of God (see 1 Ne. 11:25). The love of God for His children is most profoundly expressed in His gift of Jesus as our Redeemer: "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son" (John 3:16). To partake of the love of God is to partake of Jesus' Atonement and the emancipations and joys which it can bring. Clearly, however, Laman and Lemuel did not have such faith--especially in a Christ yet to come! (see Jarom 1:11).

In contrast, Nephi, "had a great knowledge of the goodness . . . of God," hence Nephi's firm declaration: "I know that [God] loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things" (1 Ne. 1:1; 11:17). If we have a love of God and know His goodness, we will trust Him, even when we are puzzled or perplexed.

Thus Laman and Lemuel did not understand the relationship of mortals with God, and, worse still, they did not really want to understand. They sought to keep their distance from God. Furthermore, being intellectually lazy, they did not count their blessings, when gratitude could have lessened the distance. But it was never inventory time for Laman and Lemuel.

Laman and Lemuel also displayed little lasting spiritual curiosity. Once, true, they asked straightforward questions about the meaning of a vision of the tree, the river, and the rod of iron. Yet their questions were really more like trying to connect doctrinal dots rather than connecting themselves with God and His purposes for them. They certainly did not "liken" the answers to themselves (see 1 Ne. 19:23).
Author: Elder Neal A Maxwell, Source: "Lessons from Laman and Lemuel", General Conference, October 1...Saved by mlsscaress in faith trust learning seek choices liken lamen lemuel gratitiute inventory puzzled perplexed treeoflife boundaries 13 years ago[save this] [permalink]
We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient -- that we are only 6 percent of the world's population -- that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind and therefore there cannot be an American solution for every world problem.
Author: John F. Kennedy, Source: http://www.learner.org/channel/workshops/primarysources/coldwa...Saved by vontrapp in war foreignpolicy pride boundaries nonintervention myob 13 years ago[save this] [permalink]
We need to remember that though we make our friends, God has made our neighbors - everywhere. Love should have no boundary; we should have no narrow loyalties.
Author: Howard W. Hunter, Source: LDS General Conference, October 1985Saved by mlsscaress in loyalty love neighbours boundaries 13 years ago[save this] [permalink]

« Previous 1 » Next

tag cloud

Visit the tag cloud to see a visual representation of all the tags saved in Quoty.

popular tags